Thursday, June 21, 2001
All volunteers should check-in with Justin Kuo. Justin will be standing at the intersection of the two crosswalks just past the Volunteer Check-In Tent on the Boston Common Parade Grounds (see site map.) If you get lost, ask for Justin at the Volunteer Check-In Tent. Look for Justin between 4:30 and 6:00 p.m. Please be on time!
• Race parking will be at a premium. Park on non-race streets or use public transportation. The Boston Common Garage is open for parking, however will close for entry at 6:15 p.m.
• Justin will give each worker an index card that need's to be signed with a waiver, name, address, home and work phone numbers.
• They will be checked-off on a master list and given an "Official" T-shirt.
• Please note: All volunteers must be over the age of 13 years old.
• Justin will be give assignments for the group. Team members arriving late will be directed to meet their captain at their assigned post. Transportation to posts on the race course is the responsibility of each club.
• At 5:30 p.m. Conventures will assess any areas which show a lack of workers. If Conventures has extra people unassigned, they will be assigned to the areas requiring assistance.
The race will begin on Charles Street at 7:00 p.m., near the exit of the Boston Common Garage. Runners will turn left onto Beacon Street, right onto Commonwealth Avenue, and head westbound under Massachusetts Ave. Next, they'll head toward Kenmore Square, turnaround after the MBTA bus station, proceed left onto Commonwealth Avenue, eastbound under the Massachusetts Avenue underpass, then right onto Arlington Street, left on Boylston Street and finish on Charles Street.
The Marshal positions are vital to the success of the race. By volunteering, you are earning money for the Club. Treat your marshal position seriously and make yourself seen and heard. You must be at your post by 6:40 p.m. At that time, a race organizer will sweep through the course checking that all marshals are in position.
As a marshal you have three main duties:
Be loud and aggressive!
Marshals must report to their second position.
Here are the marshal positions:
If we have enough volunteers, we'll double up some critical positions.
• Since our positions are on along the course, volunteers do not need to report back to Justin.
That's it. If you need more information, contact Justin Kuo at 617-731-9889 or 781-774-5410. Thank you and I look forward to seeing you at the races. -- Justin Kuo