New England Walkers
As always, our listing of racewalking events is not engraved in stone. Some races are added during the season, others are changed or canceled. Its always best to verify the time, date and location with the race director before setting out.
- 5 Masters 1500 meters, Dartmouth Relays, Hanover, NH. 4 p.m. Sign up by 2 p.m.
- 6 1 mile, open to all, MIT Alumni Meet, Cambridge, MA. Around 12:30 p.m. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600 .
- 7 Open mile, Dartmouth Relays, no race-day signup.
- 14 Adult one-mile walk combined with youth 800-meter walk, 11 a.m. MIT Youth Meet, Cambridge, New England track and field office, 617-566-7600.
- 21 3K, Greater Boston TC Invitational at Harvard University. First Grand Prix event of 2007. 9:30 a.m. 20-minute time limit. 617 282-5537
- 18 16th Annual Connecticut Racewalkers 3K Mall Race, 9:30 a.m., Westfield Connecticut Post Mall. Awards ceremony and brunch to follow. An event unique in the world, and one that has drawn competitors from across the northeast and beyond. 203-795-6441 or email.
- 18 3K, USATF New England Indoor Championships, Harvard University, 11:40 a.m.. Another Grand Prix event. 20-minute time limit. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- 19 31st annual Presidents Day 3.8ish-miler, 2 p.m., D.W. Field Park, Brockton, MA. There were a couple of years when blizzards forced up to stay home; otherwise, this cherished tradition has thrived since the Ford administration. The race around the park is followed by a spirited group meal at a nearby restaurant. Justin Kuo, 617 731-9889.
- 24-25 National Indoor Track and Field Championships, Reggie Lewis Track & Athletic Center, Boston. 3K women, 5K men. Qualifying times. The truly elite get to compete; for everyone else its an event well worth watching. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- 25 3K, National Masters Track and Field Championships. Grand Prix event. Men and women compete separately in their age groups. Reggie Lewis Track & Athletic Center, Boston. Great facility, exceptionally well-managed meet. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- 1 Some sort of informal racewalk if weather is not terrible, Groton, MA. Club president Tom Knatt, newly relocated to Groton, is pondering the details. Stay tuned, or try Tom at 1-978-448-9663 or email him as time draws near.
- 22 Clamdigger 8K, Westerly, RI. Our first outdoor Grand Prix event of the year. This has been a staple on our schedule ever since Joe Light added a separate walk to this traditional road race in the early 90s. Flat course, high spirits, lots of free clam chowder afterward. Joe Light, 401-596-3173.
- 29 5K, Danehy Park, Cambridge, MA, 10:30 a.m. Year Nine of the popular series of monthly races. The races are judged but no one is disqualified; the judges offer encouragement and useful advice. Contact Bill Harriman at 978-640-9676 (before 9:30 p.m.)
- 13 5K, Riverdale Parkway, Brookline, MA., 10:30 a.m. This is an alternative site for the monthly Danehy Park races, one that was first tried last September with great success. Contact Justin Kuo at 617 -731-9889
- 10 5K, Danehy Park, Cambridge, MA, 10:30 a.m. Racewalking clinic, primarily for novices, at 9:30. Contact Bill Harriman at 978-640-9676 (before 9:30 p.m.)
- 15-16? Massachusetts Senior Games for competitors Age 50 and older. 1500-meter and 3K racewalks at Springfield College. Turnout is usually high and judging not terribly strict. 413-748-3812 or e-mail.
- 17?? 3K, USATF-NE Outdoor Championships, MIT track, Cambridge, MA. Grand Prix event, always well-run. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- 4 Dedham 5-miler, Dedham, MA. An unjudged walking division as part of the towns holiday road race.
- 8 5K, Riverdale Parkway, Brookline, MA., 10:30 a.m. Contact Justin Kuo at 617 -731-9889
- 14?? 3K, Bay State Games, MIT track, Cambridge, MA, 9 a.m. Grand Prix event, open to all New England Walkers members whether they live in Massachusetts or not. Nicely run event. You get a T-shirt and singlet, and if you finish in the top six in your gender you take home a jacket as well. 781-932-6555.
- late in month Eastern Masters 5K championship, Springfield College, MA. Another Grand Prix staple on our calendar; always a smoothly-run event. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- 3-5 3K and 10K racewalks, National Masters Outdoor Track & Field championships, University of Maine, Orono. Grand Prix races. The third time this meet has come to Maine since 1998. Competitors come from all over the country, and top-flight T&F officials manage the many events adroitly. Walking events are separate for men and women on both track (3K) and road (a flat traffic-free loop on campus for the 10K). New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- 12 5K, Danehy Park, Cambridge, MA, 10:30 a.m. Contact Bill Harriman at 978-640-9676 (before 9:30 p.m.)
- 9 10K, Riverdale Parkway, Brookline, MA. New this year: expansion of the final monthly 5K into a 10K and making it a Grand Prix event. Time and other details to come. Contact Justin Kuo at 617 -731-9889.
- 14 National One-Hour Championships, Bentley College, Waltham, MA. Our New England Association has hosted this event 15 times since 1989, and weve always drawn competitors from around the country. An exciting race to be part of, as a competitor or in a supporting role. New England Track And Field office, 617-566-7600.
- Sometime in October or November Connecticut Racewalkers 10K. Difficulty in securing a track makes for little advance notice for this race, but its one of the friendliest and best-produced events of the year. Stay tuned for details.
- Date to come New England Walkers 10K, potluck lunch and annual meeting, Groton, MA. Our grand season-ending tradition since the 80s. Mark this on your calendars as soon as details are set.
39 Oakland Road
Brookline, MA 02245-6700
| Suggestion Box | Search
Corrections? Contact Justin